Saturday, July 26, 2014

Huge Flowers for a Boho Wedding


We made this beautiful backdrop for my grand daughter's wedding. Except for the hanging lanterns, we totally DIYed the vintage style doors, the hanging garlands, the petunias and geraniums in the urn planters and these luscious HUGE paper flowers for her decor.

Everything turned out AWESOME!!!


Here's a link to the door project...

http://makethebestofthings.blogspot.com/2014/06/gorgeous-wedding-doors-are-pinterest-win.html

Thanks to Pinterest, the bride had loads of ideas for her wedding and she chose these stylish flowers for a decorative highlight.




So during the course of one weekend, her mama, Insanely Creative Christy, gathered all her paper crafting wits and supplies and made these gorgeous oversize flowers. She looked at the photos and figured out just what she needed to do to make each style. 


These flowers are seriously HUGE, folks. This one is 30" across! She made them all with small paper plates for the centers and built out from there. This flower is made of poster board, coffee filters and copy paper. She used hot glue and a stapler.


The edges are curled with a bit of dowel. What a neat detail!


Here is the humongous rose. Did you notice that it looks a bit pink? Who knew that poster boards from different stores weren't the same shade of white? Now you know!

Here is the spikey chrysanthemum both during and the final. Again, the center is coffee filters and cut copy paper, with some curled tightly in the middle.



 Here is a peony style with folded, fringed poster board in the middle and the middle petals curled inward.


Another peony style with that pinkish poster board. She added beaded accents to the center of folded copy paper.


Here are the first three flowers hung together. See how the paper she used has different shades of white? We liked that sweet serendipity!


We hung them in my living room before the wedding to keep them out of harms way. They looked wonderful! By the time she was done she made a dozen blooms, all of them beautiful. The smaller ones were made of tissue and cardstock.



To hang them up we simply stapled through the back petals directly onto the wooden doors. Draped paper circle garlands gave the design a bit of movement and flow. We just LOVE how this came out!


Coming up next....what do you do with huge paper flowers like these after the wedding? We don't want to trash them and they do take a bit of space. So for now I've put them here in my master bedroom. Soon they will be props for my daughter's photography business. They will be here for a bit in a "flower cloud" above our bed, according to The Welding Man.


And again I say, "Oooh aaah!"

Come join me at these Linky Parties this week. So many neat ideas out in blogland!

http://akadesign.ca/the-weekend-re-treat-link-party-78/

3 comments:

  1. Oh my this is beautiful! Love the antiqued doors, and the flowers are breathtaking! I'm so impressed I;m sharing this on my Facebook page.

    It was sweet of you to stop by and let me know you liked my vintage dish lid towel holders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously can't believe how pretty this looks! They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled upon your blog and I LOVE IT! Would you allow me to write about Make the Best of Things on my blog Happy in Hainesport?
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...